Monday, December 5, 2011

November 5, 2011 -- Gate to Nowhere

In the Japanese Zen Buddhist traditions and I believe also in the Shinto traditions there is the gateless gate. The gate that describes non-duality, an opening that leads nowhere and everywhere. A reminder of oneness. 


Here is a local version of the gateless gate which I called the gate to nowhere. 
Here is the story: for six months at a Marriott hotel construction site which I regularly pass there was erected a chain link fence surrounding the site. A few weeks ago a large portion of that fence was removed, leaving what we see here. Why the gate was not also removed is a question everyone I speak to about it questions. Still, here it stands. The lock, by the way, is fully functional. I tried to open the gate so that I could walk through, perhaps into a "Twilight Zone", but to no avail. It was locked.


f2.8 | 1/120s | ISO 125 | iPhone4

No comments:

Post a Comment