Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 17, 2011 -- Rainbow Trail Weminuche Wilderness

This is one spectacular trail. If you want views of huge bowls, towering cliffs, majestic mountains, birds, animals, streams, creeks, and rivers this is one for you. And if you want to slog through wet, muddy, post snow, post rain trails, this also is the one for you. It is here that I slipped trying to ford a moderately small creek where I caught my foot on a root, slipped on a rock and caused severe sprain and tendinitis of my large toe. LL Bean makes good solid heavy weight hiking boots. They and lots of Ibuprofen and icing, and of course my own doctor helped it heal pretty quickly.
This first photo is a panorama. You can see the haze and rain on the mountain, and if you look closely at the trail, you will see it is quite wet. This was good ground, kind of rocky. But where it is low, wow was it a mire! This was the only hike for which I did not bring my good D200. Am I glad. It may be still floating on the San Juan River.
The second photo was amazing. Pat spotted this doe first. She just watched us and gave me plenty of time to capture the shot. What was interesting was that she was on private land. Perfectly safe from hunters who had just begun their bow hunting. She was perfectly safe (except perhaps from the land owner).



f4.8 | 1/100 | ISO 800 | Lumix

No comments:

Post a Comment