Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 11, 2011 -- Chicago Blues Festival

One of the great blues festivals in the US, this event always brings great joy to my heart. Yes it is a music festival, with varying degrees of blues quality. It is also a great people event. 

This year the weather had been really cool and rainy on the first day. But Saturday brought somewhat warmer temperatures and a cessation of rain. Weather caused the crowds to be somewhat less than other years. But crowds don't watch the performers. Crowds walk around, mingle, talk in the midways. Fans sit on curbs, bring chairs, sit on stadium benches and stand close to the performers. Fans smile with one another as they listen to the music. Fans make quiet comments about a riff or an old song. Fans admire the guitars, the singers, the drummers, the harp (harmonica) players. And I like to take photos among the crowds and the fans. In these four shots, I am sharing my admiration for a prototypical blues band, lovers and a gorgeous tattoo   

"Electric Blues" shows an energetic two guitarists at their best.  In this photo you can almost feel the rhythm and emotion that these guys were generating. The guy in red is a phenomenal rhythm base guitarist and his partner is Duwayne Burnside, leader of the band and a terrific electric blues guitarist specializing in Mississippi hill country blues. 

Electric Blues.jpg
f13 | 1/100s | ISO 400 | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18-270mm Lens

The shot that I call "Star Crossed Lovers" was interesting. These two were standing in the midway. People were all around them, but the couple was seemingly oblivious. So I decided that their world was one of color and the rest was just dull blank and white. 
Start-crossed Lovers.jpg
f9 | 1/320s | ISO 400 | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18-270mm Lens. Masking in Photoshop

"Fantastical Tattoo" was taken as I stood and watched a spontaneous dance floor erupt in the midst of one of the midways. These folks were all dancing to a band in a mannered way. As I watched I noticed this tattoo. What does the CXXXIV refer to? What is the meaning of this fantastical image? Who was the designer of this tattoo? Who created it? And why did she adorn herself with it? I will never know. Likely, I'll never see her again.

Fantastical Tatoo.jpg
f9 | 1/320 | ISO 400 | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18 - 270mm lens

Finally the "Look of Love". These two were seated in front of me throughout the Duwayn Burnside Band performance. I don't think they noticed the music. 

Look of Love.jpg
f11 | 1/250s | ISO 400 | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18-270mm Lens

I took over 300 shots on Saturday. These four are not my best, just four I really liked. I'll eventually post more to Flickr! and to Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment