Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May 31, 2011 -- Nature in its Grand and Glorious Pagentry

Hiking the Appalachian Trail we climbed about 1,000 feet to reach a point looking out over the Delaware River and the ridges along the Eastern side. Beautiful is not a sufficient word. I am so thankful that Pat and I are still very much up to these extremely strenuous hikes. And strenuous it was, as the heat was about 85 and humidity in upper 90% range, even within these deep forests. 


I wish I had had my Polaroid filter with me to cut the haze. Still, I think you can gather a glimmer of what we experienced.


 f14 | 1/750s | ev -0.33 | ISO 400 | FL 27mm | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18 - 270mm Lens

Here you can see that the Appalachian trail is not always forgiving. In this shot Pat is contemplating the climb. We had no choice. It was on the return! There were some sections were the grade was at least 8%! This was not one of them
f11 | 1/45s | ev -o.33 | ISO 400 | FL 18mm | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18 - 270mm Lens

Finally, just near this point, as we were making time, I suddenly stopped short. Something had caught my eye: it was this four foot Black Snake crossing our path. I took about 20 shots using my cluster mode. The snake couldn't have cared less about us. It was looking all over, tongue flicking out. Amazing. Nature's Grand and Glorious Pagentry, as my friend, Dr. Bob Buckley is fond of saying.

f7.1 | 1/125s |  ev -o.33 | ISO 400 | FL 57mm | Nikon D200 | Tamron 18 - 270mm Lens

No comments:

Post a Comment