Friday, February 11, 2011

42/365 Feb 11 2011 Art is in the eyes of the beholder

The title for today's posting alludes to one of the early discussions I posted regarding the question of "When is photography art?" Another question, "is photojournalism art?"

So the joke is here in this photograph. I do owe a bit of gratitude to D. Travis North, a photographer whom I've never met. But a photo of his gave me inspiration for this shot. I actually took quite a few versions of this before I selected this one (with the aid of my trusted critic, Pat). Without proper "studio" lighting photos such as this are hard to take. However, I think this shot gets at the main intent, and with the humor I wanted.

The original photo was taken in color, but I converted it to B&W in Photoshop CS5 using the Alien Skin Exposure 2.0 plugin. I wanted a film look so I mimicked Kodak T-Max 125 and made some minor adjustments to it.  I think the final image reminds me of close to what I saw in my mind's eye. I did use T-Max 125 and 400 when I was shooting a lot of  film. It has a nice small grain and give good contrast.

f9  1/15 sec  ISO 400  FL 97mm  Aperture Priority  Vibration Control  Nikon D200

No comments:

Post a Comment