Monday, February 21, 2011

Photo 52 Feb 21 2011 Using their heads

A couple of days ago I mentioned waiting to catch a photo of a woman carrying a 50 pound bag of cement on her head. I never got that shot, but this afternoon after my class, I wandered into a construction area. 

All of the work except the mixing of the cement for this large project is being done manually. It appears that labor is a very cheap commodity for India.  These women almost form a human chain as they return to the stone pile, wait for their "dish" to be refilled, and carry it 50 yards to the mixer, returning to gather more. I watched for about 5 minutes and was stunned by the enormity of physical labor these people do. 

I've included a couple of shots so you can get a sense of the tasks they carry out.

f4.6 1/125sec ISO 800 210mm Lumix

f4.9 1/60 sec ISO 800 FL 300mm  Lumix

No comments:

Post a Comment