Tuesday, March 15, 2011

73 Photo of the Day March 15 2011 -- Barn Window

I love barns. The right barn looks great in color and in B&W. They help me recall a time when so much more of our country, even as I knew it as a student in upstate New York, was open fields, farms with few housing tracts.


A friend and I were seeking to take photos of trains at a Railroad Museum. Unfortunately neither of us did adequate homework: the museum is closed until April. But we both saw several great barns on our way into the rural farming country of McHenry County in NW Illinois where the museum is located. So we made the best of our "shooting day" and shot lots of photos of several barns and their associated buildings. 


This portion is of a barn which we thought was old, but turns out to have been built in the 1960s.  Still it presented lots of color, angles and shapes for us.


I like this photo because I was able to frame the side of the barn with an edge of the pasture beyond and still get the window within the shot as well.  


The image you see is an HDR photo, which means, in this case, that I took five shots at +2, +1, 0, -1 and -2 exposure value so that I got five photos some of which were underexposed and others were overexposed. Merging these individual photos allows all the shadows and all the light to be present in the final image in a way that resembles how our eye would have seen the scene.


HDR varying f20 (Aperture priority) Varying shutter speeds FL 36mm  Nikon D200  

No comments:

Post a Comment