Friday, March 18, 2011

76 Photo of the Day 18 March 2011 -- Early morning tasting at Saxum Wines Paso Robles California

I was floored. Not only did our friends know Justin Smith and his wife and family very well, but they arranged for Pat and me to join them to meet the Smiths. Justin Smith is the Winemaker-owner of Saxum Wines. Saxum received 98 points and the top rated wine of the year award by Wine Spectator magazine for his 2007 James Berry Vineyard Rhone style wine: a big deal.

So this morning we arrived on the dot at the appointed time, 10:00AM at the winery/home for the Smiths. We were greeted by his two dogs and then Justin. What a nice guy. We went into the house and I thought, these are nice folks. We chatted about the kids and their St. Patricks Day dinner they hosted for another couple the night before. We told them about ourselves and I thought, "well thats really nice. I guess we'll go now."  But just then Justin said,"so let's taste a little."  And he proceeded to open first a bottle of 2008 Broken Stones Vineyard -- still a bit tight, but clear and deep and dry and bursting with potential. And then a second bottle, Justin's personal favorite, as it turns out, which was a 2008 Booker Vineyard. This one I thought was even better than the first if it was possible: big but delicate. Dark dark color. (I didn't know it was his favorite until after I had made my decision about the wine.)

Justin grows all his own grapes and the wines are named for the various 50 acres of vineyards he farms and owns. Later, he also took a sample from a barrel: a 2010 James Berry Vineyard Bone Rock. A very small block of the vineyard of old vines.  It was already amazing. I cannot guess what it will be like in a couple of years. 

This photo was taken in his barrel and tank shed. It smelled like wine had been fermenting there for years...the place was homey and messy. I felt immediately at home. 

f18 1/60 sec  ISO 400  FL 34mm  Nikon D200

No comments:

Post a Comment